Saturday, September 15, 2007

What a Weekend


Because I am doing the alternate route teacher licensure program, I have to take an online class this semester. It is taught by an instructor at Ole Miss (sorry Heather and Laura) and it requires that I attend an orientation session in Oxford. Though I knew I had to go, I was not looking forward to spending a perfectly good Saturday in Oxford UNTIL.....my fabulous friends Courtney and Clay offered to let me spend the night at their apartment in Oxford and Curt (Courtney's brother) and Robbie decided to go with me and make a weekend road trip out of it. So after that, it was on. Last night once we got to Oxford, we went to the Square and ate at Old Venice which was absolutely fantastic. I LOVE PASTA (and no I didn't just get spaghetti Myndi!) and it did not disappoint. Then we strolled around the Square and spent a long time in Square Books which I loved. I can get lost in a bookstore so easily. I love books. I guess that comes from being a librarian's daughter!



So after heading back to the apartment for yummy dessert made by Courtney, the real adventure of the weekend began. We started out on our trek to Holly Springs, home of none other than Paul Macleod, father of Elvis Aaron Presley Macleod and owner of Graceland Too. If you have never heard of this tourist attraction tucked away in the tiny town of Holly Springs, fear not, I will spread the joy and wonder of this hot spot. Paul Macleod is the biggest Elvis fan and collector of all things Elvis. Seriously, he is in the Guinness Book of World Records. His house is covered from floor to ceiling with Elvis everything. And he is open 24/7 every day of the year. It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of the day you go, Paul is waiting to greet you and give you the grand tour. It's totally insane. And nothing is better than hearing Paul recount, with false teeth bumping in and out of his mouth no less, his tales of Elvis encounters and how much his son looks like Elvis (which by the way is SO ridiculous). It is quite obvious that Paul's son has moved far far away, changed his name, and denies any knowledge of Graceland Too. This is my theory, though according to Paul, he is just always off working on Graceland Too-The Movie.

This is really one of those places that you HAVE to visit and experience yourself. There is just no way to possibly describe to you the hilarity of it all. It only costs $5 and once you go three times you become official lifetime members and never have to pay again. And so the reason for our trip. Though we have all been before, this weekend became the time for me, Robbie, and Curt to become lifetime members. Courtney and Clay, who introduced us to the phenomenon that is Graceland Too, became lifetime members the last time we went. So this weekend marked a milestone for me and even more so for Robbie, who though she pales in comparison to Paul for her devotion to Elvis, still surpasses anyone I know under the age of 50. Once you become lifetime members and not a visit sooner, you are eligible to wear the belt and jacket and hold the guitar for an official picture that may one day hang on the walls of this historic monument. (That is, if Paul could ever leave to get the pictures developed and then find even a hint of wall space to display it) But nonetheless, the 3 of us took our place in history as official members and sported the coveted items for a pic. I can't tell you how priceless it was to be given that official pink cutout card signifying my entrance into an elite club of Graceland Too visitors. It will truly be a moment I will treasure for days to come.



So after our wonderful night, reality set in and the actual reason I came to Oxford surfaced with the early morning light as I had to wake up and go sit most of the day in a classroom for my orientation. It really wasn't too bad and I actually got out earlier than I anticipated allowing me to go with the group to see Rowan Oak, William Faulkner's home. This actually is a true piece of history and was interesting to see. And it was a gorgeous day hopefully signifying the beginning of fall. And just when I didn't think the weekend could get any more interesting, a totally random natural gas explosion occurs this afternoon in Philadelphia which just happened to be where my car was parked since we met Curt there on Friday afternoon. And it just happened to be at the building on the road in front of where my car was parked. And it just happened to knock out some ceiling tiles and lights and windows at the building where my car was parked. And it just happened to do not one single bit of damage to my car. Not one thing. I mean if random explosion is going to occur yards away from my car and destroy buildings and vehicles in its path, why can't it take out my Camry that I have been driving forever? The car with over 200,000 miles. The car that the paint is coming off. The car that I love but has seen better days and is getting oh so close to that roadtrip to the sky. But no, nothing, happened to my car. And while most would be ecstatic to return to find their property safe and sound, I was quite disappointed that a new car paid partially with insurance money is not in my future. So there was my weekend. Hopefully you haven't quit reading since this post is especially long. Just couldn't figure out a way to succinctly express all the blogworthy moments of this weekend. It was one I won't soon forget.

5 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

what a fun weekend (minus the whole "ole miss" thing). ok ok, oxford is a decent town, but let's not kid ourselves, there's too much red and blue there. no one should ever stay there too long.
i, too, like old venice.

i have never been to graceland too BUT both heather and JR are lifetime members and tell me that me going is a MUST.

Unknown said...

what an eventful weekend given the reason for the trip was business. I have dined at Old Venice as well and it is soo good. I am so proud of you for going out on a limb and ordering something other than spaghetti!

Graceland Too??!! I must hear more...

The camry needs to be named the Energizer bunny- hey it's already pink and furry inside.

Morgan Tart said...

Missed you this weekend! Saw Mel and we discussed her Buckle hemming. I love that she is working there. I also hired her for a little nursery sewing! Sorry you had to go to Ole Miss!

Unknown said...

i am a lifetime member. DId you see my picture? I was wearing the jacket while making an elvis face, oh and holding sophie. I told him that her name was priscilla. he believed me. strange guy.

i am so sad that I could not make it yesterday. Life can get in the way. Mama and daddy said there were a TON of people there!

Love!

ABL said...

I too am sorry that you had to go to Ole Miss country, but I long to hear more about Graceland Too. It sounds hilarious and the perfect reason to go north :) Missed seeing you at the shower, and sorry to hear about your car's close call. I can't believe it didn't at least bust a window. Maybe next time.