Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Welcome to the Oprah Show

If you have ever wanted to be a part of a taping of the Oprah Winfrey show, you should have been in my classroom today. All of my students and myself made guest appearances on the same set with the one and only Oprah Winfrey. I must say it was a thrill. We are doing a unit on Mississippi and this week's focus has been famous Mississippians. And what would a study of our great state be without a tribute to one of its most famous and influential natives. So even though I am pretty confident that none of my students even have a frame of reference for who Oprah is, we decided to do it big. Each student also made the cover of Oprah's magazine. Of course, the only issues available are in our classroom so don't scour the stores to find them. I wish that I could take credit for these wonderful ideas but I am not that good yet. They have hired a retired teacher for this semester to help transition the students and help get the program kicked off right and she is fabulous. She taught for almost 30 years and has so many wonderful ideas and experience. It has been such a God-send having her around. Tomorrow we are studying Elvis and if you have ever wanted to try out as an Elvis impersonator stop by WLHS and find us. We will be the ones in the paper sparkle capes and black wigs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is so great! What a wonderful idea!! they love you.

see you sunday!

LT (and Max) said...

i love it! i bet it made their day.
i, too, am planning on seeing you sunday! :)