Sunday, September 2, 2007

Football Fever

I am officially in the football spirit. I have been looking forward to opening weekend for a while. I LOVE college athletics and there is nothing better than the first weekend of football after waiting the long summer with no college sports to watch. I spent most of Saturday flipping between games and checking scores. (And you wonder why I'm still single...Who wouldn't love a girl who loves football?) I started off watching College Game Day which made me cry most of the morning. They were broadcasting from Virginia Tech and showed many tributes for those who died in the tragedy there. And while I am usually a big supporter of the underdog I just couldn't cheer against Virginia Tech. I'm sure ECU felt like the whole nation was against them. It was nothing personal! And while my Golden Eagles came through the night with ease my Tennessee Vols weren't as fortunate. It was so irritating watching Cal just run the ball at will against them. Where was the defense UT? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come this season for my boys. Which leads me to my next weekend dilemma.....USM travels to Knoxville next weekend to take on Tennessee! These are the 2 teams that I root on every season and never has there been a conflict of interest. They are in separate conferences and play completely different schedules, UNTIL this year. And next weekend they will face off. My loyalties will have to belong to Southern Miss because obviously I went there and have 2 degrees from there and they are the big underdog. But on the other hand if my Vols have any hope of going to a BCS bowl game and making a positive move ahead after this weekend, they can't get beat by an unranked Conference USA team. And while you may be saying there is no way USM even has a chance and I have nothing to worry about as far as post season hopes for UT, stranger things have happened. Just ask Coach Carr and the Michigan faithful. So I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens when my two teams square off but don't worry Trey I know where my heart lies. GO GOLD!

2 comments:

ABL said...

I loved the upset by Applachian State against Michigan! It just goes to show what the underdog really can do!

Unknown said...

i have been working for the golden eagles for over a year now- i still bleed maroon.

Trey and I were thinking about going to tn to watch them this weekend, but decided not too. just thought I would share.

LOVE YOU!

PS - I think I am coming to cooper's b-day party. You will be there, right???