Sunday, September 9, 2007

Football Friday

Friday night was the first home football game for West Lauderdale. Mama and I went to the game along with pretty much everybody else in Collinsville. I mean if you want to get away with something you aren't supposed to in Collinsville do it on a Friday night. Football season has become insane at West Lauderdale over the past few years because they have been very successful. It's so funny to go back to a game now and see how much excitement there is about football because when I was in high school we were lucky if we won more than 2 or 3 games. This year I'm sure I will be at many football games not only because I am now working there and can get in for free (one of the perks of being a teacher) but also because Brooklee is a cheerleader. She did really good cheering on the sidelines even though she was on the complete opposite end and I could barely see her. Here's a picture of her at her first pep rally.
Braden and Cooper were also at the game on Friday as official members of the West Lauderdale Fan Club. They both had on their cute t-shirts and got to stand on the field before the game when the players ran out. Of course, the only thing that really interested Braden was the band and for Cooper it was the food. Football was secondary to both of them. In about 10 years we will be going to football games watching Braden leading the band. I mean he is 5 and his favorite movie is DrumLine and he has a CD that he listens to constantly of the MSU Marching Band. He is destined for the Band no matter how much Cary objects.

And my final story from the first football game...I was standing in line at the concession stand with Braden and right behind us were 2 boys who couldn't have been older than 5th or 6th grade. As we were waiting I was listening to them discuss the perils of middle school love. The conversation went something like this:

first boy: This game isn't nearly as fun as I thought it was gonna be.

second boy: I know. We are losing.

first boy: Yeah and I haven't got a girlfriend yet.

Oh if I could just go to a football game and leave with a boyfriend. I hope this kid keeps believing for as long as possible that it's that easy. So even though WL lost it was a fun night and I'm sure I will be back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Look at Brooklee cheer...makes me proud. I love the fact that Braden wants to be a drummer for a living. Love it. I wish he still had his drum major uniform. That is priceless.

ABL said...

Awww...memories. I remember well not sitting down at the football game because there wasn't much of a game to watch, but only going because that's where everyone else was. I'm glad there's finally a reason to cheer. West Point plays at West Lauderdale this year, so I'll look for you!