Tuesday, August 7, 2007

School Days, School Days

For those of you who don't know, I changed jobs a couple of weeks ago. I was working at Meridian Community College as an academic advisor but had decided that I wanted to try to get my teaching license. Over the summer I took the certification tests and was actually able to get a job for this school year teaching special education at West Lauderdale High School which is where I graduated from oh so many years ago. I have been looking very forward to this opportunity even though I have been completely stressing out over the last couple of weeks. I was unable to get into my classroom (formerly a room of stored books, desks, computers, etc.) until last Thursday. So I have been crazy busy trying to get it ready for the students to come. And come they did. Today was the first day of school for students and I was so nervous. I have never had a first day of class with this population. My first days of teaching have consisted of going over the first day handout of all the fabulous psychology information that college freshmen and sophomores are ecstatic to learn and then going home. So needless to say, having the same kids all day the first day seemed very intimidating. Well thankfully the worst case scenario that I had run through my head was far from the reality of the day. It was hectic and there were some moments when I was praying for the time to pass faster but overall it was a good day. I think once I get into a routine with these precious students, I am going to enjoy it. As one teacher told me this afternoon, one day down, only 179 more to go! Today was also Braden's first day of kindergarten. I unfortunately don't have a picture of him in his new school uniform because he would not agree to let me take one of him this afternoon when I went by to see him after school. I guess he was tired of pictures because I'm sure April took a million this morning. I can't believe my little man is in big school. And he didn't really tell me anything about his day but he didn't get a sad face. Of course, he informed me that the teacher said they wouldn't start moving clothespins until tomorrow so it might be a short lived stay in happy face land for Braden. I will keep you updated about both of our first years at school!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha. today the clothespins move...the real test come this afternoon! little braden in big school. crazy!

I know you are going to be an AMAZING teacher. I imagine the 1st day to be one of the hardest. You are going to get this down pat and be fabulous!!!

I miss our daily IM chats, though. :(

LT (and Max) said...

totally can't believe braden is in K. so weird.
if you ever need a fellow teacher to talk to, you know who to call! love you