Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hi, Welcome to the Buckle, My Name is Melanie


Five years ago, my mom, Melanie retired after 31 years as a high school teacher and librarian. Since then, she has been keeping my nephews and just doing whatever else she wanted. She has loved retirement and has never even wanted to go back to work. But alas, Melanie has officially come out of retirement. No she isn't going back to teaching and no she isn't becoming a greeter at Walmart. My mother, who by the way isn't the least interested in beauty, fashion, or style, is now an official member of the Buckle staff. What might you ask could Melanie possibly be doing? Well she certainly isn't trying to sell jeans to 15 year old little bitty girls. That would be a disaster waiting to happen. Mel has now become the fabulous seamstress for the Buckle in charge of all alterations. If you know my mom at all, you can understand how incredibly hilarious it is to think my mom works at the Buckle. She didn't even know where the store was in the mall, much less what they sold or their target consumer group. My mom is the unofficial seamstress for the community, sewing everything from cheerleader uniforms to bridesmaid dresses and all in between. Well a lady who knows her told the people at the Buckle that she knew someone who would be good for doing their alterations so they called my mom and asked her if she was interested. Since Braden started to school this year and Cooper is going to daycare for the first time, my mom decided that it would be easy money and give her a reason to get out of the house some. So if you are in Meridian and want to shop at the Buckle, go on Tuesdays when Mel is there and ask her to get you her discount. She certainly won't be using it!

3 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

i'm not surprised in the least.

i love mel.

Unknown said...

i think this is hilarious, indeed, but I as I was reading I had this mental picture of 15 year old girls wanted Mel to go fetch them a size 0 in the newest style of jeans. THAT made me laugh.

what can't she do? I don't know.

ABL said...

The Buckle and Melanie Luke are two words I would have never put together in the same sentence, but they hired the best semstresses. I love your mom!