Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday Musings

My Mondays don't usually have any blog-worthy moments but today proved to be an exception (either that or I'm just trying to make up for my extended blogging absence). Just like a Monday morning, some of the events were about as fun as hearing the alarm go off bright and early. First of all, it has rained tons today which meant we had to reschedule our pumpkin patch visit for later this week. Then right after returning from breakfast this morning, one of my students ran toward me like he wanted a hug. I usually am very open to giving my students any amount of hugs they want, but this one was a little different. He approached me with more than just his arms open. Once I realized that he was trying to kiss me, I threw my arms up and got him to stop. I then told him that we only blow kisses to each other in our room. He then looked at me so innocently and said "That's not how Billy does it." Billy is his 21-year-old brother! I'm quite scared of what he has witnessed Billy doing and am hoping that he doesn't try to re-enact any more scenes in class. So after the other teachers in our class were able to control their laughter we were able to move on and have a pretty good day. After school was out, I was able to visit one of my best friends from high school, Haley, and her precious new baby, Grayson. Haley and Grayson live in Madison but are visiting her mom for a couple of days and I jumped at the chance to meet this sweet new addition. He is an absolute doll and was awake the whole time I was there. I was able to feed him a bottle and just love on him for about 45 minutes. It was great. I can't wait to see him again. I, unfortunately, didn't have my camera with me so I have no pics of this precious little man. But he and Haley definitely made my Monday much better. That is, until I decided to visit Goody's. When I left Haley, I went to Goody's to look for some pants for school. Goody's is moving into a brand new store so they are getting rid of all of their inventory from the old store and this is the last week they will be open so everything is ridiculously cheap. Anyway, I was there for a while and found some excellent bargains. I actually got 3 pairs of pants and a shirt for less than $20. Totally ridiculous! So, anyway, I'm feeling good, happy about my bargains, and head for the check-out line where I am in between 2 ladies who are talking back and forth about all the clothes they have found and are comparing what each other has. The lady in front of me is likely in her early to mid 60s and has like 15 or more shirts and she is talking loudly the whole time, trying to tell the lady behind me where all the size large shirts are, since apparently she has canvassed the entire store in search of all shirts this size. While the checkout lady is steadily scanning her items, she looks at what I have and notices my shirt laid on the counter. She comments that she likes it and asks what size it is. When I tell her a medium, she looks me over with a look like "There's no way you wear a medium." She then decides that she needs to see how we compare in size and actually steps behind me and places her hands on the side of my hips in order to see how much space is between them. Apparently she can't grasp the idea that I might could wear a medium when she wears a large. At this point, I am turning red and feel forced to say something like "It's to wear under something." Even the checkout lady has that look of sympathy for me. The lady then says to the woman behind me "I guess I should go back and look for mediums." Who did this old lady think she was? I am by no means a little girl but who gave her the right to question what I wear and how my clothes might fit. I was so irritated. I mean, I know I've gained a good bit of weight over the past year but I'm trying to get things under control and it doesn't help to have perfect strangers point out the width of my body. Lady, believe me, I am perfectly aware of every inch of this body. So even, though, I left the store with great bargains, my less-than-stellar body image took a blow. Oh well, tomorrow is another day and one step closer to the weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WHAT???? I would have punched her! Kinda like the lady that told me congrats on being pregnant! who are these people. I think you look fabulous my dear.

on a different note, I love that a student tried to kiss you. PRICELESS! Miss you!

ABL said...

That heifer!! When she said she needed to go look for mediums, you should have told her,"I'm sorry honey, but there is no way you wear a medium. Plus, I think this shirt is a little young for you." Then see what she would have said. The audacity of some people! You look fine just how you are Adelia!