Monday, October 22, 2007

Family Time

This weekend was all about the family. On Friday night, my dad's side of the family met at my Aunt Sherry's house for a fall kick-off. The Luke family needs no real reason to get together and eat, so beginning of fall seemed like just as good a reason as any other to have an eating-meeting. We made a fire, had chili and hot dogs, and roasted marshmallows for smores. What better way to celebrate the start of a new season. You never know what activities might be a part of a Luke family function and this night was no exception. Jump roping and telling ghost stories were the events of choice on Friday night. It was quite entertaining to see the over 12 crowd trying to jump rope. In my family, one of the thrills of the adults has always been finding ways to scare the kids. When we were younger, the aunts and uncles would challenge us to walk around the house on Thanksgiving night saying "Raw heads and bloody bones come get me." And then of course, when we thought we had gathered up the courage and almost made it around the house untouched, one of them would jump out from behind a bush or start making terrible noises that would send us running into the house screaming. Well, I guess Friday night offered them the chance to repeat the performances with the new generation of young kids. Braden loves ghost stories and thought it was fabulous when Uncle Larry came out from the barn wearing a sheet and running toward them. Cooper, on the other hand, was a different story. He was very scared and kept saying "I want go home" He finally settled down and the night continued without any other incidents. Saturday continued the family weekend with my mom's mother's family reunion at Clarko State Park. It was very beautiful weather and even though I didn't know a whole lot of people there it was nice to see those that I did and haven't seen in a while. My grandmother and her older brother are the only children still living out of a family of 12 and they were each presented with a plaque of appreciation for their contributions to the family. I was glad I got to be there for her. Sunday brought about another opportunity for family. My dad's mom's family reunion was that afternoon in Collinsville. Neither my mamaw nor any of her siblings are still living but we still have a good crowd every year. Even though I see most of my family on frequent basis, it is still fun to spend time with them. I love both sides of my family and am so thankful that I am blessed to be a part of large families. (Sorry I don't have any pics of any of these events!)

No comments: