Thursday, January 17, 2008

Is it Friday Yet?


The terrible Thursdays strike again. Last semester, if there was ever a day at school that my students were all going to misbehave at the same time, it was almost always a Thursday. Last Thursday, the first one of the semester, was great giving me hope that 2008 would bring about a world where Thursdays are what they should be...days to breeze through until Friday, days where making sure you catch Grey's Anatomy is the only concern, days that give you hope that the weekend is almost here. But the curse of the Thursdays has reared its ugly head once again. Today was by far the worst day we've had since coming back from Christmas. It didn't quite rival some of the worst days of last semester (primarily because no seizures were involved) but a Thursday terror yes it was. I won't even begin to elaborate on the activities of my students today because I wouldn't want you to be appalled but just pray that tomorrow will be a better day. And if my day wasn't long and stressful enough, tonight when I pulled on my favorite pair of old jeans to go grab something to eat, I realized that they have gotten so thin from the countless times I've washed them that there is now a hole in a very precarious spot. This was probably more devastating than the events of the day because I love these jeans so much, even though they are so ragged and worn out. They are those jeans that can make you feel comfortable no matter when you put them on. I know I will recover from my day with my students but the loss of my jeans may be the worst thing the Thursday curse could bring. Atleast tomorrow is Friday and I am off Monday for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day so hopefully I will have time this weekend to mourn and relax.

4 comments:

Chelle said...

So sorry about the jeans....I know how attached we get to those "ready-all-the-time" clothes. see if crafty Aunt Mel can somehow repair them...since she is the "Queen of Sewing".
Hope Friday is a better day for you and enjoy your three day weekend!

LT (and Max) said...

i could agree more about thursdays! i've always disliked them. yesterday was a rough one for me too.

but oh i how i love MLK day.

and i'm sorry for the loss of your jeans. sad day.

Unknown said...

I am so so sorry for your loss. This can be truly traumatic. When you find a pair of jeans that you can always count on to take you anywhere, it just makes the world right. But when you have to retire them, it is quite devastating. My wish for you is that the hunt for a replacement goes smoothly and you find the perfect pair of jeans that are even better!

Maybe when you come visit me in Athens, we'll find you a fabulous pair!

Deanna Wilson said...

" It's 10 o'clock, do you know where your children are?"