Monday, December 17, 2007

I Just Want to Celebrate

Today is a day for celebration. I have made it through my first semester of teaching with my students. Tomorrow at 11:30 is the official finale to the semester but today was the last day for my students to be at school. It has been such an eventful semester with so many different emotions. I have felt fulfillment, frustration, uncertainty, excitement, and tons more ups and downs. I have learned so much about my students, myself and my future, and teaching. I have not for one second, even on the days that I wanted to cry, regretted my decision to change jobs. It has been exactly what I was looking for--both challenging and rewarding.I have had so much help making it through this semester. When I first started, I was completely overwhelmed and it didn't take long before my principal and the school district realized that another teacher was needed to help shoulder the load. I could not have been more fortunate in who they chose. I was blessed to work with this past semester Mrs. Suzanne Timbrell who just happened to be one of my aunt Lita's high school friends. She has been a Godsend. She had retired after 29 years of teaching special education and agreed to come back this semester to help start this program since it was new at WL. I have learned so much from her and am so sad that she is going back into retirement but I know that she has left me so much more prepared than when I started in August. She is such a fabulous lady and I'm going to miss her tons. Thanks so much Mrs. Timbrell!
Since today was the students' last day, we partied big. This morning, our class went to the nursing home where my mamaw lives and sang Christmas carols for the residents. We had such a good time and I think they enjoyed our own special version of traditional Christmas melodies. I unfortunately didn't get to take any pictures of them in their cute little elf hats ringing their jingle bells so you will have to just take my word for it that they were sweet. After leaving the nursing home and returning to school, we had our Christmas party in our room. It was so much fun watching the kids open their gifts from us and I received several gifts which was nice. Overall, it was a great day and a successful semester. I only hope that I make it through the next one as smoothly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you students. LOVE THEM.

of course she is mama's HS friend...her name is Suzanne. ALL my mom's HS friends were named Suzanne.
Strange.

LT (and Max) said...

I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
i mean, congrats on finishing up and all, but I'M STILL IN SCHOOL!!! MY KIDS ARE HERE UNTIL FRIDAY AT NOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when do you go back in jan?

so glad you took your students to sing for mamaw and her friends. love it.
can't wait to see you next week!