Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I Am Thankful For....

Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I thought I would take time to really think about the things I am most thankful for. So often this holiday gets bypassed in anticipation of Christmas and I am guilty too of not truly appreciating what this day represents-a chance to reflect on all of our many blessings. So in an effort to give this day its due, here are a couple of lists of things I am most thankful for this year, both serious and fun.
Top 5 Most Important Things (in no particular order)
1) Family-I am thankful that I have a wonderful family, both my immediate and large extended family. We always have fun when we get together and it's so nice to have a place where you can always be yourself and be accepted and loved. We aren't perfect but there is no way I would trade my family for anything in the world.

2) Faith-I am thankful that I was taught about Christ from an early age and was brought up in the church. I am thankful for God's mercy and the salvation that He extended me. I am thankful that no matter how often I stumble and fail Him, that God is always there and will always love me.

3) Friends-I am thankful that I have friends who I can laugh with, cry with, and just be me with. I have friends that I have known for as long as I can remember and those that I've only met in the last few years, but they all serve a special purpose and help me make it through this thing called life.

4) Job-I am thankful that I have a new job that I love. At this time last year, I would have told you that I was thankful for having a job but I couldn't necessarily say it was one I loved or wanted to keep. I have a different appreciation for having a fulfilling job this year and am thankful for the opportunity to change jobs and for all the people who have helped me in this transition.

5) Health-I am thankful that as far as I know I am in great health. Not necessarily great shape but good health! Working with the students that I do everyday has really made me appreciate the healthy life I have been blessed with. So many people don't even start out life with a clean bill of health and I have been lucky enough to have no major health problems and for that I am so thankful.

Now for the not-so-serious list of things I'm thankful for:
1) Pajama pants-This is the best piece of clothing ever invented. This week I have spent the majority of my days in my pj pants.
2) College athletics-I love college football and basketball so this time of the year is wonderful for me because both sports are playing. I am such a boy when it comes to sports!
3) Coke Icees-I am so addicted to Coke Icees and have been since high school. It is seriously a problem and I've been trying to lose weight and cutting these out has been my biggest challenge. I love them!
4) Chapstick-Another addiction for me. I have to carry chapstick with me wherever I go and I'm so thankful that it only costs like a dollar because I go through it like crazy.
5) Naps-I am thankful anytime I can catch a nap and think these are seriously underrated. I try to always have one on Sunday afternoon.
6) iPod-I really don't know what I did before I had an iPod. I love music and this makes it so much easier to take music with me wherever I am.
7) pictures-I am almost as addicted to picture taking and picture displaying as Laura. I am so thankful that I have people in my life who oblige my constant requests for photo ops and I'm thankful for all the memories these pictures let me relive.
8) Toyota-I am thankful that this company has made a car that has lasted as many miles as I've driven my sweet old Camry. Even after 200,000 miles she is still ticking and I'm so thankful that I am not paying a car note every month. I know she won't last much longer and I'm gonna enjoy every single mile and note-free month she gives me.
9) Divided plates-It's the little things in life you have to truly appreciate and divided plates are one of those things that make my life and meals so much easier. I am one of those weird people who don't like for my food to touch so these ingenious tools make Thanksgiving and other big meal opportunities so much more pleasant.
10) Blogging-I have been surprised at how much I enjoy the blogging world since I'm not very good at technology and have never thought of myself as one who needed a creative outlet mainly because I have no creativity. But it's fun to have somewhere to share pics and stories of my world and to see what's going on in the lives of other bloggers. So thank you Heather and Laura for dragging me into this fabulous land of blogging.

So there you have it...My lists of some of the things I'm thankful for this year. I hope you have enjoyed my tribute to this holiday and hopefully you will take time to think of your own list. Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Love your blog...
I can't wait to get back to Mississippi for Christmas and see everyone.
Have a great holiday season.
Chelle

Unknown said...

i am thankful for you! so good to see everyone! See you in a few weeks!!!